Angels and Eagles

A personal response to the constitutional change being forced on Norfolk Island by Australia. Will we lose far more than we gain?

Saturday, March 18, 2006

GETTING PERSONAL


As it states at the top of this blog, what I write is a very personal response to the Commonwealth Government's moves to change Norfolk Island.
I am not a mouthpiece for any other person or organisation, although I know there are many others who think as I do. I have been greatly encouraged by the great number of people who have said they are reading "Angels and Eagles", and I am especially pleased that I am not merely "preaching to the converted."
So why am I doing it?
Well, I just love this place, and I just could not sit down and do nothing. I refuse to join the ranks of those who say:
"It's inevitable...it is no use us trying to fight it."
And I certainly do not endorse the view of those who say:
"Our own Assembly mismanaged things....it serves them right!"
That is really cutting off your nose to spite your face.
In almost four decades, I have learned to love living in a place where everything is accessible, where individuals can make a difference, where family is really important, and where people do things for themselves instead of relying on handouts. We enjoy the ultimate "sea change" existence that others dream of. But we know that it does not come without plenty of hard work, resourcefulness and commitment.
I cannot turn back the clock and be born a Bounty descendant, but I have still been able to feel a part of the place. I have never experienced any discrimination...until recently.
That discrimination has come from Canberra. It is because I hold British citizenship. I would renounce British citizenship tomorrow if I could have a piece of paper saying that I was a citizen of Norfolk Island. However after all those years of living here and playing my part in the community, Australia said that no non-Australian could vote or stand for election. They did not actually take away my vote in the end, but they did disqualify me from ever standing for the Assembly. I became a second-class citizen. Me, and a whole lot of others, including quite a few Norfolk Islanders!

By the way, there is a handful of residents of this island who also experience discrimination when travelling. Visitors to Australia, other than those holding Australian and New Zealand passports, are required to have a visa. However, residents of Norfolk Island, whatever their citizenship, are no longer allowed to apply for a visa. We have to rely on a little "Permanent Resident of N.I." sticker in our passports, which is not even recognised by most Australian Immigration officers. We cannot even leave the Norfolk airport without the Airlines having to make a call to Canberra for permission. This situation causes enormous difficulties and delays when travelling back to Australia or Norfolk Island from an overseas destination.

I am not "against" Australia.....for Australians. I spent 16 years of my life there. When I turned 21, even as a British citizen, I qualified to vote. And if I still lived there, I would no doubt have taken out Australian citizenship. Aussies are great people. I even cheer for the Aussies in International competitions. I like to visit Australia. But I do not want to have to be an Australian in order to enjoy my full rights as a citizen of Norfolk Island.

The political and constitutional changes Australia wants to make are allegedly for our economic well-being and sustainability. What I fear is that the outcome will be unwanted social change and damage.

That is why I will continue, in my own way, to push for the rights and aspirations of Norfolk Island to be recognised by Australia, and hopefully, internationally.

"Angels and Eagles" is my soapbox, so to speak.

In the meantime, I am also trying to let people know what a wonderful and unique way of life we enjoy on my other blog
http://devonhouse.blogspot.com/
This is helping me to appreciate my family, and the community we live in, which is rich and diverse. We may be remote, but in many ways the world comes to us here on this island.

May I point out that there is no copyright on what I write. If anyone feels they would like to use it (but not misuse it) they have my permission. I would just like to be kept informed.

If you would like to tell your friends about these blogs, you can just click on the little envelope at the bottom of this posting, enter your friend's email address, and they will send a message and give the URL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home