Angels and Eagles

A personal response to the constitutional change being forced on Norfolk Island by Australia. Will we lose far more than we gain?

Sunday, March 29, 2020

The Administrator
Mr Eric Hutchinson
Kingston
NORFOLK ISLAND
29th March 2020

Dear Eric,
On Monday 23rd March, I created a post on Facebook. The wording was simply the following:
So when the politicians and media talk about all Australian States and Territories, why doesn't it ever include Norfolk Island? Who represented Norfolk island in the PM's Coronavirus cabinet?
I posted these words onto my homepage, and tagged you. I did this because I sincerely believed that it may be a question on many people’s minds. I also believed it may be a question to which you could give an explanation or answer, or at least reflect on.
On the evening of that same day, you contacted me by phone, during our mealtime. I was quite taken back, particularly by the belligerence of your tone. I cannot accurately recall your exact words, but you started by saying that you were “sick and tired of…” and proceeded to tell me how hard you were working for Norfolk Island, and that I should have communicated with you by phone.
You then proceeded to accuse me of seeking “self-gratification” through the comments and responses of people who hated you. That was unfair, and brought no credit to a person in your position.
When you appeared to have finished, I said goodbye and hung up. I did not want say anything without gathering my thoughts together. And I most certainly did not want to create more heat when all I had sought to do was to shed some light and clarity on the situation.
As I see it, you had a number of options in the way you could have responded to my Facebook post, which has obviously touched a very raw nerve.
1.You could have explained simply and factually that Norfolk island is not part of the Australian Federation, and is therefore not represented on the Prime Minister’s “National Cabinet.” You had an opportunity to acknowledge that when referring to Australia’s states and territories, that the territories referred to are usually just the A.C.T. and Northern Territory, and do not include Norfolk Island and the Indian Ocean Territories.
2.You could then have explained that most of the measures being announced by the Prime Minister, other than the economic and financial measures, were being enforced under State law, and that any measures announced in relation to Norfolk Island were carried out under Norfolk Island law, administered by yourself and the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development (neither elected by the Norfolk Island people.)
3. This would have given you an opportunity to acknowledge, or at least reflect on, the fact that Norfolk Island is an anomaly, and that you work with and for a regime that has been imposed on this island without our consent, and which is flawed and undemocratic.
4. You can either defend this system or regime that you have chosen to identify with, or you can make up your mind to advocate for something better for Norfolk Island, or you can do nothing. No doubt you will continue to choose to do nothing.
Why you reacted with such anger and sensitivity to my post is something only you can answer for yourself and according to your own conscience.
Please note that I did not attack you personally, and never have done. I should also point out that I went back to the original post, and could find nothing that could be described as hateful in any of the comments. I had also put the post on Voice of Norfolk, and the responses there were actually constructive and helpful.
Like many others I have been severely impacted by recent events on a number of levels, and will be experiencing considerable financial hardship. But never at any stage have I been critical of any of the measures that have been undertaken on Norfolk Island to deal with the Covid19 threat. I acknowledge that there have been difficult decisions to make.
Finally I need to tell you that the telephone is not my communication method of choice, and that has been the case all my life. I make no apology for using social media, especially if I can use it to articulate issues that I know concern many other people.
I will be placing a copy of this letter in my blog, in order to place it on record.  I do not require a reply or response from you.
angelsandeagles.blogspot.com
Yours sincerely
Mary Christian-Bailey




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home